Home schooling Day 1

How was it for you???
For us it went surprisingly well. I used my set structure to base our learning and I think for us structure is the key. Our school day is planned and I think at this difficult time, structure is something we all require.
So, how did it go...well, firstly we started with an old favourite...spellings. Cover, write, repeat, you all know the drill. We also used our spellings in a sentence. And just like school, Friday will be our test day.
Next, we logically moved onto English. My older boys had work set from school, while the girls, desperate to use their new notebooks, started with a letter to me, to tell me what they enjoyed at school, what they found a little troublesome (careful not to use the word difficult) and lastly what they would like to improve on. I thought this would give me an insight into how they feel about school and help me to encourage them when they need it and what to give extra help with.
After a successful hour and a half, we had exercise time. This consisted of the daily mile (a jog around the block, because nobody was outside). Whilst I understand this may not be possible if we are locked down, they certainly did not come into contact with anyone and that at the end of the day, is the main goal.
Daily mile done, it was onto snack time and after 15 minutes break, we were back to part two of our homeschooling.
Maths up next. Work sheets sent from school, boys tried to access online school learning, although this proved tricky, I assume down to the volume of children around the country, that would be doing the same thing. After an hour of maths, we moved onto my made up lesson, and if I'm honest I think the children's favourite. Using the letter A we picked a country to study. We chose Australia. I want to make the most of this time to teach general knowledge, and I see this as an opportunity to do so.
We researched basic knowledge, such as Australia's capital city, where the Great Barrier Reef is located, animals, simple information on things they did not know. I asked each of them to find a fact and present it to everyone and then everyone had to write it in their books. The idea is at the end of the week I might run a test, or just ask random questions, and just help to build their knowledge a little more
 The children loved it. It was a real success and I know they are looking forward to tomorrow and the letter B...I'm thinking Brazil but if they choose a different B then that's fine too. We are all learning....looks like we really are all in this together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Summer list....'Park Life'

Lunchbox Ideas